About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Paige. I come from California but I also have German and Danish ancestry. "Ich komme aus Kalifornien und Deutschland" Besides that, I have a lot of cultural interests, I'm a vegetarian, exceptional sushi eater, I love the beach, traveling, cooking, photography, & anything about health.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Becoming a Vegetarian "Vegetarier zu werden"


This is a picture of me in Switzerland during my first trip to Europe (they put this card at the table so they knew where to bring the "vegi" food, I thought it was cute), I also went to London, Paris, and Italy. Half a year before this I read the book "Skinny Bitch" and decided to become a vegetarian. I  felt healthier but also felt like I was doing the right thing. At home it was easy but everyone warned me that I might want to make an exception for the 3 weeks I would be touring Europe because there would be nothing for me to eat and I would need energy. Not true! The first few days in London I was a little worried I would get sick if I had to eat any more french fries as a meal but finally one of my friends asked our tour guide to read a menu for us in a cafe in Paris and mentioned that I was a vegetarian. After hearing this he was surprised I didn't tell him before and for the rest of the trip he made sure there was always something for me to eat. Everyone was always very nice and respectful with making me something different and I especially enjoyed a lot of Caprese salads or sandwiches with mozzarella, basil and tomato and the best pasta with simple tomato sauce I have ever had. Actually, a lot of the time the picky eaters on the trip where jealous, especially when I was served potato pancakes instead of the veal. Also every day (or more than once) we would stop and get some gelato (its everywhere!), and eat it while we rested and enjoyed the scenery. I probably had pistachio flavor at least five times and stracciatella(chocolate chip) was good too. It wasn't the most nutritious month of my life but I survived and have many good memories. Two years later I am still a vegetarian, except on special occasions when I go out to sushi with my friends. I know its cheating but I still do a lot better than most people.

3 comments:

  1. You look so healthy. Is it from eating so well, or is it just because you look like your mama?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I noticed that you didn't change your blog address on your profile page. You have 14 profiles views, but they couldn't get to your blog:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really proud and impressed with you and your knowledge about nutrition and your healthy eating. WAY TO GO GIRL ;) Love ya. Auntie Ann

    ReplyDelete